This is the English Martial Arts Podcast show where we talk about the Weapons and Unarmed arts contained within the English system.
- Newsby Frank Docherty on September 9, 2020 at 2:49 pm
In this episode I am talking about the kind of training we offer, and where the club is going as regards training.
- Self Defence Adviceby Frank Docherty on July 31, 2020 at 12:26 pm
In this episode we will look at advice on self protection. We will look at quite a few topics that will allow us to take precautions and stay safe both inside and outside our homes. We will talk about locks for doors and windows, physical fighting techniqueas well as awareness of our surroundings. […]
- German knights and Vampiresby Frank Docherty on July 4, 2020 at 6:24 pm
In this very short episode I read from an article published in the HOBILAR journal about teutonic knights and Vampires
- Self Defence and the English Martial Artsby Frank Docherty on July 4, 2020 at 5:34 pm
This episode has been put together to talk about the English martial arts and Self Defence. It talks about recent events happening around the country because of illegal demonstrations and rioting, about how they have been attacking people in mobs and about our art and how we are now offering an […]
- Brief History of the Quarterstaffby Frank Docherty on June 28, 2020 at 11:50 am
George Silver wrote about the quarterstaff as a reality. It was a weapon he used to fight and defend his honour with. ... As a battlefield weapon the quarterstaff would be an oak or ash pole of about eight or nine feet in length, wih a circumference of about 4 and a half inches. It was a foot […]
- Training Podcastby Frank Docherty on June 18, 2020 at 2:33 pm
In this episode I discuss three different subjects. 1) How the current climate has changed defensive fighting against multiple attackers. 2) Visualisation as a training tool 3) Writing articles and essays for your martial art
- Translation Weapons Practice and the Lockdownby Frank Docherty on June 5, 2020 at 2:21 pm
Here in this episode we discuss translating period manuals and books, we are also going to hit on weapons practice and armour, and finally training in the lockdown and how hard it can be. According to skopos theory, what methods translators will choose always relies on the purposes of the […]
- Updateby Frank Docherty on May 30, 2020 at 3:07 pm
In Anglo-Saxon times one of the terms by which a folcwiga (warrior) would have known close quarter combat was handplegan (hand play) which is recorded in the Saxon Chronicles. By Tudor times there were two main titles in use; the Art Militaire and its civilian relative the Science of Defence. In […]
- Training while in Lockdownby Frank Docherty on May 8, 2020 at 1:42 pm
This episode of the English Martial Arts Podcast is about training while in lockdown, The equipment to use and how to do it. There are also a couple of other things contained within the podcast that I hope will entertain. Training while in lockdown can be difficult due to lack of training space, […]
- Training and Covid 19by Frank Docherty on April 24, 2020 at 4:59 pm
In this short episode I talk about the effects of Covid 19 and how the government is giving advice but still allowing people into the country with no checks. How I gained an injury, and training at home.